Nikon AFS 80-400 mm F4.5-5.6G ED VR Telephoto Zoom Lens
The AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR is a versatile lens for portraiture to super-telephoto. Incorporating an advanced optical design, this lens uses one super extra-low dispersion element and four extra-low dispersion elements to noticeably reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing throughout the zoom range for improved clarity. Flare and ghosting is controlled by its Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings, resulting in increased contrast and color accuracy in bright and backlit conditions. Fast, near-silent focusing performance that suits both stills shooting and movie recording, which can instantly be manually overridden by simply turning the manual focus ring. Thanks to its Silent Wave Motor AF system. Ideal for fast-paced situations and difficult lighting, the Vibration Reduction image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake by up to four shutter speed stops.
- Portrait-length to super-telephoto zoom is designed for FX-format F-mount cameras, however can also be used with DX models where it will provide a 120-600mm equivalent focal length range.
- One super extra-low dispersion element and four extra-low dispersion elements greatly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to produce greater clarity and color accuracy.
- Both a Nano Crystal Coat and a Super Integrated Coating have been applied to individual elements to suppress internal reflections, flare, and ghosting for improved contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions.
- Silent Wave Motor affords quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override. An internal focusing design is also used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Vibration Reduction image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by four stops to benefit shooting handheld in difficult lighting conditions.
- Rotating tripod collar benefits working with the lens atop a tripod or monopod.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm promotes a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Compatible with optional AF-S Teleconverter TC-14, TC-17, and TC-20 teleconverters.
Lens Construction (Elements/Groups)
17/11 (3 ED glass elements)
Picture Angle with 35mm (135) format
30°10' - 6°10'
Picture Angle with Nikon DX Format
20° - 4°
Closest focusing distance
Maximum reproduction ratio
Filter Attachment Size
Dimensions (approx.) (from the camera’s lens mounting flange)
91 x 171mm
1,360g (1,210g without tripod mounting foot)
Supplied Accessories (may differ by country or area)
Front lens cap LC-77, Rear lens cap LF-1, Bayonet Hood HB-24, Soft Pouch CL-M1